Saturday, November 28, 2020

Scanxiety





It’s a thing. I’ve had a variety of scans throughout life and I’ve managed through them. Having a cancer diagnosis certainly increases the chances of not great results.

The days leading up to and after scans are tough. I have researched lots of support articles to try to figure out how to manage through these days the best I can. There are several tip lists with suggestions like keep busy, meditate, exercise, talk to others etc. Which is great advice. 

While keeping busy and exercising, one still has thoughts running through their mind and I feel it's important to manage those instead of ignoring them. So here are a few thought responses I have when my scary thoughts roll in.

“I have an amazing medical team that will help me through whatever challenge I face.” – this was given to me from a dear friend and fellow ovarian cancer survivor that has helped me a lot this year.  It brings me great resolve.

“I will cross that bridge when I have more information” - Don’t get ahead of yourself.

“Worrying won’t change the results”  - If anything it’s going to make you lose sleep and feel exhausted.

“ I have a good support system in place.” – Having supportive family and friends that I know are praying for me and always there to help us out.

These really help shut down the negative thoughts and worries that may infiltrate your brain while waiting for your scan results.  I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but I’m a work in progress.

Some advice for the support system people. Knowing you are there for us when we need you, that’s the biggest support you can give.  You don’t have to come up with any fancy words or fixes. Just simply be present. A laugh or two is always a good relief.









1 comment:

  1. And being orange is no help We went for a three hr drive and couldn't stop by for a visit..Things will improve I am sure..Love and always lots of prayers..Hugs

    ReplyDelete