Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Finding my way

Once you’ve been through hell, it takes time to get yourself back on track. I’ve been in another zone since my ovarian cancer returned in winter of 2022, I call it my battle zone. Everything seems a bit blurry at first, and you continue through life stumbling from medical appointment to medical appointment. When you come out through the process you may feel like you’ve been through a boxing fight, you’ve been up and down a few times and left with scars, aches, and pains all over. It’s a road that unless you’ve been on it or cared for someone through it, there’s no way to comprehend.

I paint a fairly sad picture of this journey, but it isn’t all bad. I learned to live life with less concern about what others think, I'm more focussed on my family and close friends; what is most important. I’m more grateful for each day.  The love in our family and strength has prospered.  We had good times throughout the process, often laughing and making the best of little moments.  

 

As I look toward the future I have hope, hope for time and memories.  Living each day with integrity and passion is my goal.  Creating lasting good memories to cherish is good enough for me.

For the next little while, I will continue to stumble here and there, until I get myself stronger. When you are at the end of cancer treatment, there is much healing to do and managing of emotions of the next part of this journey.


The focus will be on healing, something I didn’t take time 3 years ago when I was first diagnosed.  I tried jumping back into my old life and my body quickly informed me that wasn’t a good idea. Within 2 months of finishing treatment, I was hit with a nasty case of shingles, frozen shoulder, joint issues. This process will be slower. I highly recommend if you are nearing the end of your treatment to take some time for you and allow your body to heal before jumping on the next train or plane.

 

I wish you happy healing and strength.

 


 

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Learnings nobody wants to have to learn but, sadly, need to. You’re so selfless to blog, and share what you’ve learned for those who are going through it as well, or will someday. It could be any one of us. So proud of you and your beautiful family, Christa. You’re a great example of resilience, humility and love. Thank you for the reminder of what truly matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you feel a little better each day. I learned too that I have had to adjust to my new norm. Partly due to cancer treatments and probably some due to my age. Ha ha. . But I give thanks each morning for my day ahead and try to fill it with things that make me happy. And each night I give a prayer of thanks for the day I had.
    You are an inspiration to us all with your openness about your disease and treatments.
    Take time to heal.

    ReplyDelete