Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Diagnosis

On March 12, 2019, one month after celebrating my 44th birthday my life changed forever. I woke up in a recovery room to the view of my surgeon informing me that the originally planned laparoscopy hysterectomy did not go as planned. I was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer - stage 2B or III High-grade serous carcinoma.

My husband stood by my side as my medicated mind absorbed this news. I don't remember crying but there were tears, many tears. It's all a blur and I prefer it that way.

The next 24 hours, I would endure were horrible, to be honest. I was rolled to my room and pumped with pain meds, 17 staples, and 3 new holes branded into my abdomen. Within hours I began vomiting (reaction to pain med). In the midst of my vomiting episodes, my husband and I would have brief discussions about what was just handed to us. My heart broke for him, I could see his pain.

That evening we had to call our precious family and inform them of our news. News they were not prepared to hear, I was assured that they didn't "feel" as though I had cancer, very unlikely. Words you cling to, but probably best left unsaid given my circumstance.

Skip to five months later and I am in the midst of a chemo battle, I have good days and bad ones. I have weekly chemo treatments  (dose dense chemo) that likes to knock out my immune system and suck my energy.

While on summer vacation I was hospitalized for Pancytopenia. It's a funny word for not such a fun condition.  It's when a person has low counts for all three types of blood cells: red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. I received IV antibiotics and blood transfusions, thankfully my body bounced back after a week or so. It was scary for me and my family, but so thankful that things improved.

I do have many good days and I am so thankful for them. I rest when I have to and squeeze in family fun when I can. Make the best of what you have.

My family is living this rough life by my side. I have an amazing husband who cares for me and our household along with a very demanding job that never stops. We have 3 beautiful daughters who have to manage this cancer beast in their life as well and I hate that they have to; they too are amazing humans. I have the most loving helpful parents that are here for all of us. I have awesome in-laws that also are here for our family at a moments notice. We are blessed to have a massive circle of close family and friends ready to help with what we need.

For the past 4 months we have been receiving meals weekly delivered to our door, an incredible help when life has you tied into this whirlwind of illness followed by appointments and family life. We have been overwhelmed from the love and support from so many friends and neighbours.

We know we are blessed and I'm so very thankful, we just don't know how to ever repay the love and care we have received!!

I promise not all posts will be so serious!! I know my grammar and punctuation isn't great but it really isn't about that :-) 





8 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea! I love to read and listen to your words and stories, especially since I don’t get them daily anymore! ❤️ You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. What a great form of emotional therapy. Thank you for sharing, Christa! We love you and are so proud of you. Keep in fighting. Your positivity will help you through the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christa this is a great way to heal as well... journaling helps clear the brain and it also keeps those close to you updated. You’ve come this far and encountered many obstacles, don’t stop now you will WIN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are simply amazing. So strong and brave. I will follow your blog faithfully, sending all the warmth and positive thoughts I can all the way from Kelowna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written and a great way to share! Thank you for sharing your story and your journey. I am sure this has been a difficult time for you and your family and I hope by writing our your thoughts it will help you to move past this. I look forward to reading your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are incredibly honest, strong and unselfish sharing your battle with us . Your blog will cleanse your thoughts and leave more time with your loved ones . Christa your words always make ME feel better . Sending healing energy to you love 💗

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your courage and steadfastness! I pray for you and send sincere love!

    ReplyDelete