Sunday, August 11, 2019

Tips and Advice to Help Manage Chemo from a Newbie

I'm in the midst of my chemo battle, week #12 of many. This is just advice from my experience. We are all individual in our responses to chemo and there are so many chemo cocktails that affect people differently, this is just my take. If I can help even one person with improving their side effects that is success.

1. Take your pre chemo meds  - I take steroids 12 and 6 hours in advance of my chemo treatments. Make sure you eat crackers or something light before. Set your alarm for your middle of the night pills as well.  I usually have to wake at 4am. I suggest having your meds set out and ready,  I can be pretty drowsy in the middle of the night and have woke up the next morning unsure if I even took that meds at 4am.

2. Drink lots of WATER - It is recommended to have 2 litres of water each day during and after chemo. I suggest hydrating well the day before as too. This sounds like an easy task but when your mouth starts to feel fuzzy or everything starts to taste like cardboard or metal it gets a little more difficult.  I suggest adding a little juice and a lot of ice if you can. Keep drinking the water, it helps!

3. Take your anti-nausea meds on schedule - I am on 2 different meds for nausea and I can't imagine how terrible I would feel without these in my system. Set phone alarms or have an awesome family member or friend that reminds you (my husband keeps me on track thankfully!)  You are better to stay ahead of the race instead of get behind in meds because it is harder to catch up! Trust me.

4. Find a support system -You will need help through this process. I'm not good at accepting help from others, as I'd prefer to be the helper. This was and still is difficult for me. 

You will have people (amazing people) that step up and just tell you, this is what they can to do to help and they do it.  For our family, we had so many people wanting to help us, and we really didn't know what or how to manage this. Some dear friends decided to setup a meal delivery schedule to help us weekly. It's been unbelievably helpful for our busy little family!

There will will be others who just don't know what to do but they'll want to genuinely help. Give them some guidance if you can. A simple visit or walk is helpful when you need a little time outside.

Some people will fade out of your life for a bit, that's ok.  It's not something you should be expending your energy on.  It's not easy for some people to deal with and you shouldn't take it personally, just learn and move forward.

The people you need in your life will come forward and those friendships will forever be cherished.

5. Rest and listen to your body - This is a tricky time. One day I'll feel good and be able to do most normal activities and then next day be wiped just trying to walk up 4 steps.  Listen to your body when it tells you to rest. BUT also enjoy being able to do what you can when you feel like it. 

I've had lots of people telling me to take it easy and don't overdo it. I know it's because people care but it really bothers me. I am not feeble and incapable. In fact I'm pretty strong willed and determined on good days and on bad days I crash and do absolutely nothing. That's ok!

If and when I do get sick - it's not because I've done too much it's because I've picked up a bug that my chemo saturated body can't fight.  My system will become weakened no matter what I do or eat - it's the chemo that beats me up, not my wanting to live my life as full as I can.

6. It's ok to be sad or mad - With illness comes a lot of discussion of being strong and positive.  There is so much focus on being strong that it makes you sometimes feel pressured. It's normal and necessary to have all kinds of emotions about what is going on in your body and life. Being sad doesn't make you weak.  Everyone is different. 

For me, I have to run things through my head and sometimes writing helps; while other times talking helps.  My husband and I have had some very difficult discussions recently, but we have also had some great chats about planning our future and fun times. I'm hoping for a 25 year remission/cure but I also have to plan for the other side of the coin.

Getting professional help is also something to think about. You are dealing with a lot of curve balls that have never been thrown your way and professionals can help. Not only for yourself but if you have a family, they may need it as well. Communication is key in our life, not always easy but crucial.


Don't get ahead of yourself in this journey, day by day is the best I can do for now and I'm ok with that. 

I hope this has helped. Hugs to all that are on this journey and all the best.




5 comments:

  1. Mac and I have you and yours in our thoughts daily. Sending positive vibes your way. Love to all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 🥰 You are in my thoughts often as well. Hugs to you both

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christa, this is such a great blog. I have you in my prayers every night.
    I agree we all react differently. Day 4 begins my low time. That is when I am having all the legs pains. Dr Raza did give me a sleeping pill I can take when it gets really bad, so I did last night and got a good sleep. Today, really tired too. Good day to do work on my computer.
    It is a tiredness like you really can’t explain, I find.
    And I really don’t want to sleep during the , as I think that hurts me trying to get sleep at night.
    You are doing great. Cancer changes your life forever. As you know, my second bout of ovarian,. It’s okay to have a good cry , it’s okay to shout out your frustrations out the back door( maybe easier where I live!) but also good to talk about the future too.
    Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ❤Words of wisdom. I must say you are handling this like a trooper. So proud of you Christa ��. Think of you often and cant wait to come visit you and give you a big hug.Keep blogging and we')) keep reading

    ReplyDelete